Specialty Services

Dr. Mayer is one of two veterinarians in the State of Illinois who performs the Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response Test (hearing test for dogs and cats) to diagnose deafness in pets. This test diagnoses deafness in many breeds predisposed to congenital deafness. This is important to consider when purchasing certain breeds of dogs including Dalmatians, English Setters, English Cocker Spaniels, Bull Terriers, and many others. A puppy that is tested before it is purchased or soon after being purchased may help some difficult situations such as training failures or having to return a puppy. 

Some adult dogs may have a sudden occurrence of deafness and these occurrences can be tested also.

Dr. Mayer has been performing hearing tests for over 25 years and has held hearing testing clinics at dog shows and health clinics around the country.  

Please call us if you wish to have your pet or pet’s litter tested or if you wish further information in this regard.

(Hearing Test for dogs) The Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response test measures the ability to hear the suditory nerve to the brainstem. It is the gold standard test for the detection of congenital deafness which occurs in many breeds. Most of the breeds affected have a white or partially white coat. The gene and appearance are described as piebals. The equipment we use is the same as in many human hospitals. The pet has tiny electrodes placed at the base of the ears and on the top part of the back of the head. Earphones are placed and a clicking sound is produced at various levels to stimulate the nerve impulse that is read by the machine. The test can also be used to detect deafness in adult pets but since our pets are such a variety of sizes and some pets do not cooperate it is difficult to judge the level of hearing loss.

Zsa Zsa’s Paws For Thoughts

Xylitol poisoning in dogs is on the rise. Xylitol is a sweetener found in sugar-free chewing gum, candy and baked goods. Substantial amounts of items sweetened with xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood pressure resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures.

These signs can occur as soon as 30 minutes after ingestion of the product so veterinary treatment is urged immediately. Even small concentrations of xylitol are proving dangerous with detection being veiled by a delay in the onset of clinical signs as much as 12 hours.